19 May 2007

Books, Books, and more Books

I have a confession that may come as a surprise to no one, but I am addicted to reading. A few of you might know that I am a closet bookworm. My ideal afternoon is sitting in an old library window seat lost in a good book. Because I know myself and my addictive tendencies toward reading, I made a conscious effort not to read the Harry Potter series until I had finished my undergraduate studies. I was much wiser than I could even have foreseen. I gave myself the liberty to read the series here in Korea, because my homework load is a bit lighter and well, I thought it would keep me entertained. I started the first book on the airplane over. I fell in love IMMEDIATELY. I read veraciously and was making trips to Seoul specifically to buy the next book in the series. You couldn't find me on a bus or train without my book and book light (a precious gift from my friend Mi Jeong). It became a running joke, as I would randomly laugh out loud while reading. It didn't matter to me that I was on a crowded bus. As far as I was concerned I was at Hogwarts along with my new friends, Harry, Ron and Hermoine. I have already finished all six of the released books.... AND I am counting down the days until the July 21st release of the seventh.
*If any of you want to discuss my ideas about the end of the sixth book and conspiracy theories regarding the next, please head my direction. ;)



During one of my visits to a local bookstore, I ran across a new favorite of mine completely by accident. Daddy-Long-Legs is PRECIOUS and I highly recommend it! We have a friend here from the Czech Republic named Radomir. He gained the nickname "Big Daddy Raddy" which over time (due to a viewing of his extra long legs during a soccer match) changed to "Big Daddy Long Legs." Needless to say, when I saw a book titled Daddy-Long-Legs it immediately became a "must-have." It is a short and very pleasant read. Almost the entire book is written in letter form. I will be bringing home my copy if anyone wants to borrow it, but you should really buy it! You will not regret it.

My most recent literary adventure was Jane Austen's Persuasion. I just finished it last night. For Austen lovers, you will not be disappointed. I loved this, her last, book a bit differently that her others. The main character is my exact age and well... we have a few things in common. Just read it, you will be glad. A quick warning, the first ten to fifteen pages are difficult to get through, but the rest is well worth the effort.

Now the dilemma remains; what to read next? I think I am leaning towards Wuthering Heights... we shall see.

No comments: