22 June 2007

PC Bang

PC Bangs (PC = computer, Bang = Room) are all the rage here in Korea... people (mostly men from my limited experience) sit smoking cigarettes and playing online role-playing games or watching movies. Having so many of them around makes it easy for those of us traveling to try and keep in touch with home, because they are easy to find... BUT there are some sacrifices one has to make (IE. the cigarette smoke, the eerie feeling that you are one of the only females in a room filled with computer loving men, etc). The PC Bang we used in Busan was beautiful, well-lit,
smelled pleasant and had non-frightening restrooms... the one we found in our makeshift neighborhood here in Seoul this afternoon is an entirely different story. ALL the windows are covered with some burnt-sienna blackout shades. I'm pretty sure that I am the only person in this room who knows that burnt sienna is a color... For that matter, I'm probably one of very few who has even looked up to see there are windows.

The man next to me has finished FIVE cigarettes since he's been here... FIVE. That's a lot! I've been here for maybe twenty minutes and was witness to most of those five. I just showered in the hope that I would be presentable for the rest of day and maybe even smell pleasant by the time I have dinner tonight, BUT my dear neighbor in the cubicle next door has taken care of that. I just looked up to see that there is a clearly labeled "Smoking Area" across the room from my very own Computer No. 15... it seems that sign may be a bit irrelevant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm a spoiled girl who misses her iBook... and misses her smoke-free wireless Internet connection at home. I am most definitely getting VERY ready to come home. I have been very blessed over the past four months. I have LOVED my time here in South Korea and I am SURE I will love the remainder of my time here, but I miss home. I miss my family. I miss using my computer whenever I want to. I miss being a spoiled American girl. It's sick, but it's true.

P.S. Yes. I am using another STOLEN photograph courtesy of Google Images.

P.P.S. Despite how this entry sounds, I really am quite happy today. :)

No comments: