01 November 2007

True Confessions

Below is a copy of an email I sent this evening to A Way With Words, a local public radio program that discusses the English language. I will update you as soon as I hear back... enquiring minds want to know!


I was recently reading (on the toilet) from a book titled Trivia for the Toilet and came across something that didn't settle well with me:

"The word "news" came from the first letters of the words North, East, West, and South. This was because information was being gathered from all different directions."

Is this true? I will, of course, trust your judgment.

Thank you.

Melissa Gaare
Encinitas, CA


*A special tidbit for my readers only*

"Ough" can be pronounced in eight different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A tough, dough-faced ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough, coughing and hiccoughing thoughtfully."

1 comment:

Amy said...

nerd