02 October 2009

Deep Thoughts with Meli La Gringa

I’ve learned a lot in the past week and thought I would share:

1.) Pandora's Paula Abdul station always results in a good work day.
I'm just saying that Pandora connects a lot of AWESOMENESS to Paula. Some examples that made me dance in my office chair: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper), Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benatar), Call Me (Blondie), Like a Prayer (Madonna), Every Little Step (Bobby Brown), Billie Jean (You Know Who… and if you don’t know who then I’m re-evaluating our friendship as of now), and Cold Hearted (by Ms. Abdul herself). I have a great job, but I need the tunes (or NPR’s Fresh Air podcasts) to keep me going throughout the day with a smile. I’m pretty sure that this one station choice has brought me more joy than any other and I have some other GREAT stations (Vampire Weekend, Motown, Jack Johnson, etc.) but my heart connects to the early 90s and a little late 80s. I can’t help it, it’s just who I am.

2.) Even smart people can do stupid things.
Wednesday morning I was getting ready to leave for work and couldn't find my keys anywhere. After a good eight minutes of hunting (purse, couch, bed, fridge, freezer, etc) I realized with dread that I may have lost my keys. I opened the door to see if I had dropped them outside… nope. As I turned around to go inside I saw my keys dangling from the deadbolt on the front door… where they had been ALL night long. The best part of this story is that I had been in and out of the house at least two times since unlocking the door.

… and the Luckiest Absent-Minded Moron Award goes to….
Drum roll please)

MELISSA!

“I’d like to thank Diet Coke for killing the brain cells necessary to remember simple things like that when you lock the door at night and leave the key in the exterior lock you are not, in fact, locking anyone out of the house… I would also like to thank my kind neighbors for not using the key I left ready and available for them. I couldn’t have done any of this without all of your contributions. (Hand covering mouth, tears welling up) Thank you all.”

3.) Boys fart often; girls need to allow that venting. Women talk often; men need to allow that venting.
I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with this today. I was talking to Esther about if women are neurotic… actually about if WE, in specific, are neurotic. I came up with "No, we’re not, we just think a lot"… about things we can’t change, but how we would change them if we could… about what he meant when he said that… and what she was thinking when she did that… and well okay so maybe we’re all a little neurotic, BUT verbalizing those thoughts is part of how we process life. Men fart. Women process life in another way. It’s okay. It’s just how it works.

4.) Yes, I know that I owe pictures and updates on other things like weddings, trips to NYC and Seattle, but right now this is what you get. You’re welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling Don that. Men fart, women verbalize. Both hot air, and slightly distainful but hilarious in the right context.