28 October 2009

Full of Wonder... Wonderful

As an North San Diego County local (born and raised!) sometimes I take the luxury of living by the beach for granted. Recently, after running some errands, I parked by the ocean to eat my dinner (In N Out BABY!). As I sat watching the waves and listening to the birds, a family in an SUV pulled up and piled out. They laughed as they threw sand at each other and flew kites. Mom pulled out a picnic dinner. The kids started tossing around a football. The father was snapping pictures without a pause; wanting to capture each and every memory of their Day at the Beach. I am pretty sure that they weren't locals. It seemed to me that this was a rare and special day... an out of the ordinary adventure.

Their excitement reminded me that my daily experiences are truly extraordinary. I can see the ocean from my office! (I may have to be on my tip toes but I can see it; and people of normal height don't have to stretch at all.) My mornings and nights are filled with salty breezes and palm trees. People dream their whole lives of seeing the ocean one day and I was raise in it and around it. I took a second look at what was before me... The sand was literally sparkling like miniscule stars reminding me that magic is still around; that life is still exciting. The pelicans swooped and fish jumped. Waves rolled in and I was carried away with them as they returned with the same mysterious force that sent them to shore. My head may know that the wind, the moon, and earthquakes make waves, but today my heart saw only magic. I wanted to believe that the sand before me wasn't broken rocks or shells but that it was in fact stars dropped from the heavens to decorate my seashore. This was a day that wonder won. Tomorrow who knows?

Don't worry I snapped a shot myself.

2 comments:

lynn said...

It must be amazing to live by the sea Melissa! Jon and I wonder daily what it would be like to live in SoCal..

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the scent of rotting seaweed wafting in the air, and the rash from sand getting into every crevice of your clothing. The pelicans that swoop in to steal your sandwich and then poop it right back out on you. It does make for a nice photo-op though.