22 November 2009

Costa Rica - Day 1 & 2

My adventure has begun! Friday night I rode up on the train to LAX and
hung out trying to stay awake for my 12:30 am flight. I started my
melatonin regimine an hour before the flight (one pill every half hour
to build up the exhaustion). Once I was on the flight with my
earplugs, neck pillow, and AWESOME eye cover (picture to come) in
place there was no chance I wasn't going to sleep my way to San Jose.
I slept sooo well. I don't think I've ever slept so soundly on a
plane. Red-eye shmed-eye... I was perky and ready for what Saturday
had in store for me.

I had a 'technical' stop in San Salvador, El Salvador. Flying in over
the birthplace of my sisters was very emotional for me. I even
surprised myself. The landscape was lush and green. There was a sweet
handicrafts shop next to my gate and I had a hard time controlling
myself. After I was already missing my sisters and all mushy about how
thankful I am for my wonderful family, I was hit with another
emotional smack. The Step By Step music video by the New Kids on the
Block was on the TV by the gate! What are the odds?!?! My family was
consumed by NKOTB for a significant portion of my childhood... So my
heart was filled with memories of lunch boxes, concerts and bed
sheets. :-) El Salvador has officially moved even further up my "I
Must Go There" list.

Saturday I spent catching up with Pao (my best friend) and her family.
We had lunch and went shopping for Christmas decorations. I adore
them! I can't even begin to explain the sweet connection I have with
my Tico family. They just love me... And I love them.

Last night it was off to the local tavern and guess what was on the
TV... Go ahead try. Yep. NKOTB Step By Step. Twice in one day in two
different countries!!! Oh yeah and don't worry the waiter fell in love
with me... Obviously.

This morning church was lovely and it was nice to catch up with more
old friends. Isn't it wonderful when even the passing of years doesn't
mean a thing? The rest of the day was spent eating, sleeping, and
planning the remainder of the week. Tomorrow is San Jose museum day
with Mama. Tuesday I'm off to Tortuguero on the East Coast for a few
days. Yeah for more adventures!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm so happy you're having a joyous time.