03 February 2009

I Recommend



I watched The Visitor this week. (I love Netflix! It delivers whatever I ask for right to my front door.) I tend to get excited about movies... but I really loved this film. I will probably own it. I don't buy a lot of movies, so this is a big deal and means I would be willing to watch it over and over again.

The simple intro to Thomas McCarthy's film is: A widowed college professor travels to New York City to attend a conference and finds a young couple, who turn out to be illegal immigrants, living in his apartment.

My summary is: A sad and empty widowed college professor finds joy and life in his new relationships with his illegal roommates.

The movie is thoughtful and sweet. Richard Jenkins hits every note just right as he finds his emotions again... and learns to live and breathe. Haaz Sleiman is exuberant as Tarek, the young drummer. Danai Jekesai Gurira is breathtakingly beautiful as his girlfriend and manages to appear wise and controlled even in times of devastation. I adored Hiam Abbass who plays Tarek's mother. Some of you will recognize her from Munich. This film is so simple and character driven that it is reminiscent of a play. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of watching it and was even more thankful for the pondering that it inspired in me.

Basically the moral of my story is; I loved it and I think you should see it!

No comments: