06 July 2007

Cómo say what?!?!

Sometimes you run into things that make you ask yourself "Why?"... or even "WHAT?!?!" The following are just a taste of my "what/why/how?" experiences in South Korea this past Spring:

Some Subway Surprises:

1) Gas masks at the ready in the subway system? A grim reminder that I was in a country still at war. At first it was reassuring that the gas masks were there for us "just in case," but then someone brought up a good point about the number of gas masks in comparison to the number of people on the subway line... my reassurance faltered a little. BUT in four months time I never needed them once so it ended up not mattering how many elderly Korean women I would need to push out of the way to get to my mask in time.

2) Book Vending Machines: Why haven't we started this in the States!?!??! What a wonderful idea. Interesting side note: There seem to be NO copyright laws in South Korea because all the books only cost around two dollars, even the bestselling titles.








Free Money at Coffee Bean:
I found this random machine on the condiment bar at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Cheonan. I pushed the button to see what would happen. I received a 10 Won coin. FREE MONEY! I pushed it again and got another coin... "Why," I wondered, "would Coffee Bean be giving me free money?" (Although after they had tried to charge me the equivalent of four dollars for a cup of tea, it only seemed fair.) After watching people walk by and ignore the free money machine, I pushed the button again. This time I couldn't stop laughing and we took a picture. The chaos that is me attracted a Coffee Bean employee who explained in broken English that the money machine was a way of encouraging people to recycle their cups. When they finish their drink, they return the cup to the recycle bin, push the button, and get 10 Won. It all made so much sense... It wasn't a free money machine after all. I returned the 40 Won I had collected up to that point and thanked my new friend for the explanation.


Korean Traditional Tea or a Root Canal?
My friend MiJeong and I were walking around Anguk-dong in Seoul, saw this sign, and decided we needed a tea break. It was a wonderful cafe. While we were looking around inside, the lady working the counter told us to feel free to look around the patio. We went outside and found a nice courtyard that opened up to... A DENTIST'S OFFICE!!!! There was no explanation... we don't know why... we don't know how... It still makes my brain hurt a little to think about. OH I almost forgot!!! There were Botox advertisements in the dentist's office within the "art museum cafe." I know, the surprises never cease. :)


The Korean Idea of Fashion: We ran into this great example in a "boutique" in Onyang. There are no words really...

A special thanks to Will for modeling.

No comments: