21 April 2010

Palomar Mountain - Sunday Funday

It was difficult to leave the confines of our adorable cabin.
(Lauren's grandpa ordered the cabin as a kit and built it in the 1960's.)

But by Sunday midday we pulled ourselves away from crafting/reading/editing and went on a Geekspedition to the Palomar Observatory.
I do not mean to imply that only geeks go to observatories...

BUT I do mean to imply that we might be geeks...

Exhibit A.

...or possibly even tree hugging dorks.

Exhibit B.
We each loved our time spent at the Observatory. There were incredible pictures and stories of how the Pyrex for the telescope was transported and then meticulously refined and polished to be usable. All of the talk of stars, solar systems, and galaxies made me think back to the days of the Starlab in elementary school. I loved piling into the weird igloo shaped balloon and listening to stories inspired by the night sky. We would sit with our little legs crossed soaking up tales of how the stars came to be and how the Earth was made. There were sailors' stories from ships long ago... We'd look at Orion's Belt, Ursa Minor and Ursa Major. It all made the sky seem so... well magical. Currently, it's a miraculous event if I can see any stars above my house. The suburban lights conspire with the marine layer to block the ancient stories that the heavens have whispered. This weekend up in the mountains helped me to remember to look up... and make an effort to get to a place where I can see the heavenly bodies that have inspired all generations to awe, creativity, and fear... and to keep my eyes peeled for new stories to be told.

Please note that these pictures are courtesy of JaymaLew.

*Editor's Note: Apparently we made it up to the mountains just in time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love all of these Palomar posts. And I love being a geeky tree-hugger (not a "tree-hugger," but an actual hugger of trees).