23 April 2010

'Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?'

This is why!

The most common response people have when I tell them that I went skydiving to celebrate turning thirty this year is to incredulously ask, "Why?!? Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" Well the simple way to answer that question is to show them the picture that I have posted above. Ummm OBVIOUSLY it's fun! ...So that's why I did it (and why YOU SHOULD TOO!).

But there was more involved in the decision than simply wanting to have fun. I have always wanted to fly... I pick window seats on airplanes and longingly imagine that I can feel the moisture of the clouds on my face. I watch birds soar with ease and wonder, "Why not me?" When presented with the question "Which superpower would you want to have?" the answer has always been easy. I would want to fly! (Invisibility would lead to too many problems... you'd get stepped on and bumped into a lot. Super Strength could lead to accidentally hurting someone whom I loved. That would be horrible... And the people who would choose to be able to touch things and have them to turn to gold... well that's just plain stupid. How would you eat? Think it through people! Nope... Hands down, I would choose to fly.)

So as my best friend Lauren and I started to talk about the things we wanted to do to celebrate ending our 20s... Skydiving was the one idea that truly made my heart skip a beat. Sure it sounded a little frightening and every so often when I thought about it I would start sweating more than is socially acceptable... but the reality is that my goal was to conquer that fear and start living out loud. You can't miss out on the adventures because you let the what-ifs get in your way. The new older, wiser Melissa is ready to take some plunges... literally.

A quick summary of events:

Sure, looking out of the open door and down 15,000 feet to the ground is a little scary... but before the fear could even truly register I just screamed it out and jumped.

Literally as soon as I was moving out... as soon as there was no option to turn around... the fear was gone and pure ecstasy took its place... sheer exhilaration! I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to fly!

After the 60-90 seconds of free fall there were five minutes of paragliding over the most beautiful view I've ever seen. I could see the curvature of the earth. I looked out over the ocean, the hills, the valleys, and it was all I could do to remember to breath. I just smiled and smiled.


And we made it out of the entire experience safe and sound and ready to go again! I can't think of a better way to celebrate 31 next year.

3 comments:

Jayma Malme said...

I think I should celebrate 30 the same way. Maybe. We'll talk it over ;)

Anonymous said...

Flying has always been my dream! I would nothing more than to be reincarnated as a bird. I think 30 is as good of an excuse as any.

amybrockhaus said...

scary!!!!! but cool